On this eggplant rollatini recipe, bubbly marinara surrounds tender eggplant slices rolled round a wealthy ricotta filling. It is SO comforting and scrumptious!
Okay, saucy, tacky consolation meals followers – you’re going to like this eggplant rollatini recipe!
“Rollatini” is an Americanized model of the Italian phrase “involtini,” which describes small bundles of meals made by rolling skinny slices of meat or produce round a filling. On this eggplant rollatini recipe, I wrap delicate planks of roasted eggplant round a wealthy mix of lemon zest, pecorino, and ricotta cheese. I nestle the rolls in a dish of marinara sauce and bake till the filling is scorching and the eggplant is tender.
The mix of flavors and textures is incredible. The filling provides a shiny, creamy distinction to the silky eggplant, and the marinara provides scrumptious tang. For a recent end and a welcome crunch, garnish all of it with plenty of basil and a sprinkle of pine nuts. Take pleasure in!
Eggplant Rollatini Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll have to make this eggplant rollatini recipe:
- Eggplant, in fact! Search for two massive globe eggplants at your farmers market or grocery retailer. Once you slice them lengthwise, you need the planks to be massive sufficient to wrap round a filling.
- Marinara sauce – Use store-bought (we like Rao’s!), or make your personal. My do-it-yourself marinara and recent tomato sauce would each be wonderful right here.
- Ricotta cheese – It creates the filling’s creamy base.
- Pecorino cheese – It provides savory, salty taste to the ricotta combination. Parmesan cheese would work properly too!
- Lemon zest – For brightness.
- Garlic, dried oregano, and crimson pepper flakes – They add basic Italian flavors to the cheese filling.
- Additional-virgin olive oil – It helps the eggplant soften and brown because it roasts within the oven.
- Contemporary basil and pine nuts – For garnish.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
For a vegan various to the ricotta, try the recipe card under. I’ve included my go-to recipe for a creamy plant-based “ricotta,” produced from blended tofu and dietary yeast. I don’t suppose I might decide a favourite between the 2 variations. Each are scrumptious!
How you can Make Eggplant Rollatini
Step one to creating this eggplant rollatini recipe is getting ready the eggplant.
Slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch planks, and prepare them on a layer of paper towel or clear kitchen towels. Sprinkle them with salt and set them apart for 20 minutes.
After 20 minutes, pat the slices dry and prepare them on two parchment-lined baking sheets. Drizzle them generously with olive oil and roast at 425°F for 20 to half-hour, or till the slices are tender and golden brown. Make certain to flip the slices and rotate the pans midway by.
Whereas the eggplant roasts, combine up the ricotta filling.
Subsequent, fill the roasted eggplant slices. Once they’re cool sufficient to deal with, place about 2 tablespoons of the ricotta combination on the top of every slice. Roll to seal.
Lastly, bake. Unfold the marinara sauce within the backside of a big baking dish, and add the eggplant bundles, seam facet down. Cowl the dish and bake till the eggplant is smooth, about 20 minutes.
Serve with a bathe of recent basil and pine nuts for garnish. I additionally like to supply a salad on the facet. This eggplant rollatini pairs completely with a do-it-yourself Caesar salad, Italian chopped salad, arugula salad, or easy inexperienced salad. Good bread or dinner rolls are additionally an effective way to spherical out the meal.
Eggplant Rollatini Recipe Ideas
- Salt the eggplant earlier than you roast it. It takes an additional 20 minutes, I do know, nevertheless it improves the eggplant’s taste a ton. It additionally attracts extra moisture out of the eggplant, which makes it extra pliable, tender, and straightforward to roll.
- Don’t skimp on the oil. Uncooked eggplant acts like a sponge – it will possibly take in oil like nothing else can. Because of this, that you must be pretty beneficiant with the oil that you just drizzle on the eggplant earlier than you roast it. It’s essential for serving to the eggplant soften and brown because it bakes. With too little oil, the skinny eggplant slices will dry out and perhaps even burn within the oven.
- Stack the eggplant slices once they come out of the oven. Form of a bizarre tip, I do know, however stacking up the new eggplant slices after their preliminary roast will assist them steam and soften. This makes them simpler to roll across the creamy filling.
Extra Favourite Eggplant Recipes
Should you love this eggplant rollatini, attempt one among these recent eggplant recipes subsequent:
On this eggplant rollatini recipe, skinny eggplant slices are rolled round a wealthy ricotta filling, then baked in bubbly marinara sauce. It is a comforting, scrumptious vegetarian meal. Discover a vegan various within the word under.
- 2 massive eggplants, sliced vertically into ¼-inch-thick planks
- Sea salt
- Additional-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 2 cups Marinara Sauce
- Pine nuts, for sprinkling
- Contemporary basil leaves, for garnish
- 2 cups 16 ounces complete milk ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup grated pecorino cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon crimson pepper flakes, plus extra for sprinkling
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly floor black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°F and line two massive baking sheets with parchment paper.
Organize the eggplant planks on a clear kitchen towel and sprinkle with salt. Put aside for 20 minutes to attract moisture out of the eggplant.
Pat the eggplant dry and switch to the ready baking sheets. Drizzle generously with olive oil, toss to coat, and prepare in a single layer on the baking sheets. Roast for 20 to half-hour, or till tender and golden brown, flipping the eggplant and rotating the pans midway by.
In the meantime, make the filling*: In a big bowl, stir collectively the ricotta, pecorino, garlic, oregano, lemon zest, crimson pepper flakes, salt, and a number of other grinds of pepper.
Assemble the rollatini. Unfold the marinara sauce in a 9×13-inch baking dish. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the filling onto the top of one of many roasted eggplant slices and roll to seal. Place seam facet down within the ready baking dish. Repeat with the remaining filling and eggplant slices.
Cowl the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 minutes, or till the eggplant is smooth.
Sprinkle with pine nuts and crimson pepper flakes, garnish with recent basil, and serve.
- 1 (14-ounce) package deal extra-firm tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons recent lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dietary yeast
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crimson pepper flakes