The traditional campfire deal with is elevated to a wonderful dessert with this simple s’mores brownie pie. Layers of crispy graham cracker crust, 1-bowl fudgy brownie filling, and gooey toasted marshmallow supply up a superior s’mores expertise: all the flavour and texture, minus the hearth and sticky fingers!
There’s simply one thing about s’mores that’s so nostalgic of summertime. Likelihood is you’ve loved this candy, gooey deal with round a campfire sooner or later. But when hunkering down within the air-conditioning is extra your summer season vibe than sweating subsequent to a blazing hearth, this s’mores brownie pie is for you.
Reader Becky says: “This s’mores pie is scrumptious. I’ll by no means purchase store-bought graham cracker crusts once more. The brownie batter is oh so good and I’m going to must strive them solo. The marshmallows browned superbly. My household beloved it. Thanks for one more keeper.”
I initially shared this recipe in 2013 and it’s been a summer season favourite since. I now not pre-bake the crust and swapped 2 Tablespoons of butter within the filling for oil, which retains the brownie tender and moist. The filling is definitely the identical as this common brownie pie.
Inform Me About This S’mores Brownie Pie
- Taste: Take pleasure in a buttery graham cracker crust, a wealthy double-chocolate brownie, and puffy candy marshmallows—with that particular taste they get from toasting over a hearth. (However on this case, we’re simply utilizing the oven!)
- Texture: The feel of s’mores is so distinctive: layers of crispy graham cracker, tender melty chocolate, and gooey toasted marshmallow. This pie replicates the identical mixture of textures in each crispy-fudgy-gooey chew.
- Ease: You don’t even want a mixer to make this pie! You’re making a 3-ingredient graham cracker crust (no have to pre-bake it), whisking collectively the brownie filling in 1 bowl, after which topping with marshmallows on the finish.
Begin With These Substances
- Graham Cracker Crust: In the event you can’t discover graham crackers the place you reside, see recipe Notes for some alternate options.
- Butter & Oil: Melted butter is the bottom of the filling. I at all times love how vegetable oil retains chocolate cake tender and moist, so I add some right here. You could possibly additionally use melted coconut oil.
- Granulated Sugar
- Eggs: Eggs are the primary performer on this recipe by including construction and texture. You want 3 eggs complete: 2 entire eggs + 1 egg yolk.
- Pure Vanilla Extract: Have you ever tried selfmade vanilla extract? I like to make use of it in my baking recipes, however take note it takes weeks to succeed in its finest taste. Retailer-bought is nice and I often use McCormick or Nielsen-Massey. (Not sponsored, actually a fan!)
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder: Since there’s no leavening taking place, you should use pure or dutch-process cocoa powder. You sometimes should be cautious about which you employ if a recipe consists of baking soda, reminiscent of this chocolate peanut butter cake.
- All-Objective Flour
- Semi-Candy Chocolate Chips: We’re doubling down on the chocolate taste within the brownie filling, however the chocolate chips additionally add an exquisite texture.
- Marshmallows: I often use giant, however you can use mini marshmallows, and even make the marshmallow topping from these s’mores brownie cupcakes as an alternative (see recipe Notes).
You want somewhat further butter and sugar, plus graham crackers to make the crust. This brings the overall quantity of elements to 11.
The total printable recipe is under, however let me present you the way it comes collectively so what to anticipate.
An Additional-Crispy Graham Cracker Crust
The recipe begins with my graham cracker crust. In the event you’ve had bother with graham cracker crust prior to now, use my Find out how to Make Graham Cracker Crust submit for steering. Be sure to don’t pack the crust too tight into the pie dish. As a result of we bake this pie for about 32–35 minutes complete, the graham cracker crust seems crispier than a no-bake-filling pie like this strawberry cream cheese pie. In that recipe, the crust bakes for simply quarter-hour.
This further oven time provides this s’mores brownie pie much more texture, with a mixture of toasted marshmallow, tender chocolate, and crispy crunchy graham cracker in each chew.
Can I Use Common Pie Crust?
I don’t suggest utilizing a standard pie crust as a result of the bake time would change, and broiling the pie on the finish might lead to an overdone crust. If you wish to use common pie crust, nevertheless, comply with the par-baking directions within the common brownie pie and high with the meringue topping as detailed within the observe under. Or you might love this brookie pie, which makes use of chocolate chip cookie dough because the “crust.”
Bake the pie on the middle rack for under about half-hour, then take away it from the oven and prepare marshmallows on high. I often use 24–25 giant marshmallows for this. Place the pie again inside for a couple of minutes to toast the marshmallows. In the event that they aren’t toasting, flip in your broiler for a minute. Don’t stroll away from the oven! Relying in your oven, toasting or broiling might be very fast.
Success Tip: Slicing Into S’mores Brownie Pie
Cool the pie for no less than 45 minutes earlier than slicing. For finest outcomes—and so the crust doesn’t fully disintegrate—look ahead to the pie to chill for about 2 hours. The primary slice is at all times the messiest!
This pie can definitely be messy due to the extra-sticky marshmallows, however dipping your sharp knife in HOT water and wiping dry between every slice helps. Don’t count on perfection: this pie is fudgy, gooey, sticky, and crumbly multi functional!
Can I Use a Marshmallow Creme Topping?
Sure, however selfmade is finest. I’ve a recipe for selfmade marshmallow creme, which is admittedly an egg white-based selfmade meringue frosting that tastes like marshmallows. I take advantage of a reduced-down model to high these s’mores brownie cupcakes and this bourbon candy potato pie, too. You possibly can simply use it for this s’mores brownie pie, too. See particular directions within the Notes under.
- Can I Use Retailer-Purchased Marshmallow Creme? You could possibly if wanted, but it surely’s a lot runnier and can make a VERY messy pie. I like to recommend sticking to common marshmallows for those who don’t need to make a selfmade marshmallow creme topping.
Not like the marshmallow model the place you employ your oven’s broiler setting, use a kitchen torch to toast the selfmade topping. (It is advisable apply the meringue to a cooled brownie pie, not heat, as a result of a heat filling will soften the meringue topping and broiling may also initially soften the topping.)
In the event you love s’mores, I’ve loads of s’mores-inspired dessert recipes for when campfires are few and much between, together with s’mores cookie bars and s’mores icebox cake.
Let my group and me know for those who do that recipe. You can too comply with alongside on Fb or subscribe by way of electronic mail to obtain my finest baking recipes. One thing candy in your inbox!
You don’t even want a mixer to make this s’mores brownie pie! Make a 3-ingredient graham cracker crust (no have to pre-bake it), whisk collectively the brownie filling in 1 bowl, after which high with marshmallows in the direction of the top. See recipe Notes if you wish to use selfmade marshmallow creme because the topping as an alternative. For finest outcomes, I don’t suggest store-bought marshmallow creme.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C).
- Make the crust: Combine the graham cracker crumbs and granulated sugar collectively in a medium bowl, after which stir within the melted butter. The combination might be thick, coarse, and sandy. Pour the combination into an ungreased 9-inch pie dish. With medium stress utilizing your hand, pat the crumbs down into the underside and up the edges to make a compact crust. Don’t pack down with heavy drive as a result of that results in a tough crust. Merely pat down till the combination is now not crumby/crumbly.
- Make the brownie batter instantly earlier than spreading into crust: Slice the butter into Tablespoon-size items and soften within the microwave in a big heatproof bowl or in a small saucepan on the range. (Switch melted butter to a big bowl if utilizing the range.) Whisk the oil and granulated sugar into the melted butter. Let it sit for 3–5 minutes to barely cool. Whisk in 2 entire eggs, 1 egg yolk, and vanilla extract till mixed. Add the cocoa powder, flour, and salt and whisk till mixed. Batter might be thick. Fold within the chocolate chips. Batter will proceed to thicken the longer it sits, so instantly spoon and unfold evenly into crust.
- Bake for half-hour. Take away from the oven and prepare marshmallows on high, urgent every very evenly down into the filling to assist them stick. Return pie to the oven and proceed to bake for a further 3 minutes to toast the marshmallows. If the marshmallows aren’t toasted to your liking after this time, activate the broiler for 30–60 seconds and take away the pie as quickly because the marshmallows look toasted. Don’t stroll away from the oven as a result of toasting can occur quick and the marshmallows and crust can rapidly burn.
- Take away pie from the oven and funky for no less than 45 minutes on a wire rack. For finest presentation and neatest slices, enable to chill for nearer to 2 hours or cool fully. For further neat slices, run a really sharp knife underneath scorching water and wipe dry between slices.
- Cowl and retailer leftover pie at room temperature for as much as 3 days or within the fridge for as much as 1 week. You possibly can reheat slices for a number of seconds within the microwave if desired.
- Can I Use Brownie Combine? Sure. For ease, you should use a ready boxed brownie combine to fill the unbaked graham cracker crust. Identical precise baking and topping directions.
- Marshmallow Meringue Topping As an alternative of Marshmallows: In the event you choose, you’ll be able to high this pie with selfmade marshmallow meringue as an alternative of marshmallows. Change the bake time from half-hour to 32–35 minutes (err on the aspect of underbaked as a result of the brownie will proceed to set because it cools). Let the pie cool fully set on a wire rack. Make the marshmallow meringue topping as instructed on this s’mores brownie cupcakes recipe. Use a spatula or giant spoon to unfold the topping on the cooled pie and, if desired, fastidiously use a kitchen torch to toast it. (Don’t place underneath oven broiler.) Slicing into this pie is much less messy than the marshmallow-topped pie, however making the meringue provides extra steps.
- Graham Cracker Crust Options: In the event you stay exterior the U.S. and graham crackers aren’t available, listed here are another choices for the pie crust. (1) Make an Oreo crust as an alternative. You possibly can comply with the directions from this cookies & cream pie. No have to prebake, simply put together the crust combination, press into pan and proceed with s’mores brownie pie filling/directions above. (2) You possibly can substitute speculoos cookie crumbs (like Biscoff) and scale back sugar down to three Tablespoons (38g). (3) Or you might love this brookie pie, which makes use of chocolate chip cookie dough because the crust.
- Recipe tailored from The S’mores Cookbook.
Key phrases: s’mores brownie pie, s’mores pie
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This electronic mail sequence is a good place to start out. I’ll stroll you thru a number of of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.