This simple tempeh stir fry recipe is ideal for a wholesome meatless meal that’s prepared in half-hour!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
Have you ever ever tried tempeh? It’s a scrumptious supply of plant-based protein that’s excellent for vegetarian stir fries!
This recipe options crispy tempeh with broccoli, onion and carrot in a yummy stir sauce served over rice for a wholesome, satisfying meal. It’s family-friendly, simple to make and filled with diet!
Throw this simple stir fry collectively for a weeknight dinner and benefit from the leftovers reheated for lunch the following day.
- Vegan, gluten-free and will be peanut-free.
- Excessive in protein and fibre!
- Comes collectively in below half-hour.
- Nice for utilizing up leftover grains and greens.
- Use the stir fry sauce recipe for any stir fry.
- Makes yummy leftovers for lunch the following day.
- Straightforward to customise.
- Excellent for wholesome meal prep.
- Excessive in protein and fibre!
Tempeh is just like tofu nevertheless it’s constituted of fermented entire soybeans which are pressed right into a agency cake. It has a nutty, earthy style and chewy, meaty texture.
It’s additionally pretty low in fats with some carbohydrates and a superb quantity of plant-based protein and different vitamins, and because it’s fermented, it gives some gut-friendly probiotics.
A whole listing of elements with quantities and full directions is situated within the printable recipe card beneath. This part covers ingredient and substitution issues.
For the Stir Fry Sauce
The sauce recipe is tremendous simple to make, gluten-free and vegan, and ideal for all of your stir fry creations. You’ll want just some pantry elements:
- Tamari: You should use soy sauce or gluten-free tamari.
- Rice Vinegar: Use seasoned or unseasoned rice vinegar.
- Maple Syrup: May be substituted with honey or agave syrup.
- Peanut Butter: Use pure peanut butter or substitute almond butter.
- Sesame Oil: That is for flavour so to not be substituted with one other oil.
- Chili Garlic Sauce: You should use any chili garlic sauce, sambal oelek or sriracha.
- Ginger: Use floor ginger or you’ll be able to substitute 2 tsp grated contemporary ginger.
- Garlic: Use entire garlic or you’ll be able to substitute 1 tsp garlic powder.
- Cornstarch: For thickeneing.
For the Stir Fry
The stir fry is made with tempeh, after all, together with broccoli, onion, bell pepper and carrot however you should utilize extra or fewer veggies, combine and match with different stir fry-friendly greens and even double the tempeh and simplify the veggies!
- Tempeh: You’ll want 1 roughly 8 oz package deal of plain tempeh (not seasoned or flavoured).
- Bell Pepper: Any color of bell pepper works however I counsel crimson bell pepper.
- Different Veggies: The recipe requires broccoli, carrot and onion however we’ll cowl another choices for stir fry veggies beneath.
- Inexperienced Onion: We’ll use some inexperienced onions (scallions) within the stir fry in addition to for garnish.
- Oil: Use your selection of cooking oil (olive oil, avocado oil, canola oil, and so forth.).
You may benefit from the stir fry by itself however it’s instructed to serve the stir fry over rice and topped with sesame seeds and scallions.
This recipe is tremendous simple to place collectively and consists of 4 easy steps: whisk the sauce, fry the tempeh, stir fry the veggies and blend every thing up!
Let’s go over the steps with a fast visible reference in order that while you begin cooking you’ll know precisely what you’re doing. You’ll discover the total written and printable recipe on the finish of the publish.
Step 1: Make the Sauce
Add the entire sauce elements to a bowl and whisk till totally mixed. Set it apart for now.
Step 3: Cook dinner the Tempeh
In a big non-stick pan, warmth 1 tbsp of the oil over medium-high warmth. When the pan is scorching, add the cubed tempeh and cook dinner for 3-5 minutes per facet. Flip the cubes over often till you’ve browned them on all sides.
Take away the tempeh from the pan and set it apart on a plate for now.
Fast Observe: If you wish to simplify the recipe and do for instance, simply tempeh and scallions, add the sauce and scallions now and cook dinner for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously till the sauce is thickened. I might as a lot as double the tempeh on this case.
Step 3: Stir Fry the Veggies
Warmth the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil plus 2 tbsp of water in the identical pan. Watch out if the pan remains to be scorching as a result of the oil could spatter!
Add the entire veggies, together with a pinch of salt and pepper, cowl and cook dinner for 3-4 minutes to steam. Take away the lid and cook dinner for an additional 2-3 minutes, stirring typically, till the veggies are vivid and tender.
Step 3: End Stir Fry
Add the tempeh again to the pan together with the stir fry sauce. Cook dinner it up for 1 minute, stirring continuously, till the sauce thickens and every thing is coated in sauce.
Serve your stir fry over rice and garnished with sesame seeds and inexperienced onions. For extra warmth, drizzle with Sriracha or sambal oelek!
Notes & Ideas
- Take your time getting a pleasant crisp on the tempeh so it holds its texture when you add it again into the stir fry.
- Lower all of your veggies roughly the identical dimension for a good cooking time.
- Ensure you have all of the veggies, sauce and tempeh able to go earlier than beginning to cook dinner. It goes pretty rapidly when you begin cooking.
- In order for you it saucier, cut back the veggies to 2 cups. You may as well do one thing like double the tempeh and simply use inexperienced onions, broccoli or bell pepper, and even simply tempeh! Generally I love to do simply tempeh and scallions with the sauce and serve it over rice.
Combine and match from: inexperienced beans, carrot, mushrooms, bok choy, cauliflower, broccoli, snap peas, snow peas, and child corn.
Sure. The recipe is gluten-free as written simply be sure to use gluten-free tamari and never soy sauce.
Sure. To make use of tofu as a substitute of tempeh, press and dice the tofu then proceed with the recipe.
Sure. Use almond butter as a substitute of peanut butter to make the recipe peanut-free.
If you wish to do that recipe with different sauces, listed below are some nice choices:
- For a low-carb stir fry, serve over cauliflower rice or alongside this cabbage “rice”.
- As an alternative choice to rice, it may also be served over quinoa or your selection of noodles comparable to rice noodles, soba noodles or ramen.
- Let cool then retailer in a sealed container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- Reheat within the microwave or stovetop in a pan till heated via. I desire it reheated in a pan with a little bit of oil or water.
Did you do that recipe? I’d love to listen to about it! Click on right here to go away a overview.
This simple tempeh stir fry is prepared in 20 minutes for a wholesome and attractive vegetarian dinner!
For the Stir Fry Sauce
For the Stir Fry
- Make the Stir Fry Sauce: Add the entire stir fry sauce elements to a bowl and whisk till totally mixed.
- Cook dinner the Tempeh: Warmth 1 tbsp of the oil in a big wok or non-stick frying pan over medium-high warmth. As soon as scorching, add the tempeh and cook dinner for 7-8 minutes, flipping the cubes often till browned on all sides. Take away from the pan.
- Stir Fry the Veggies: Add the remaining 1/2 tbsp oil to the identical pan together with 2 tbsp of water. Watch out because the oil could spatter if the pan remains to be scorching. Add many of the inexperienced onions (reserve some for topping), broccoli, carrot, onion and bell pepper. Cowl and cook dinner for 3-4 minutes to steam. Uncover and cook dinner for an additional 3-4 minutes, stirring typically, till the veggies are tender.
- End Stir Fry: Add the sauce to the pan and cook dinner for 1 minutes, stirring continuously till thickened. Add the tempeh and stir to mix and coat within the sauce.
- Serve: Serve your stir fry over your selection of rice and topped with sesame seeds and the remaining inexperienced onion.
Retailer leftover stir fry in a sealed container within the fridge for as much as 4 days. Reheat in a pan on the stovetop or within the microwave.
Vitamin information don’t embody rice for serving.
For easy stir-fried tempeh that’s saucier, use as a lot as double the tempeh and cut back the veggies to 1-2 cups. I’d counsel simply utilizing 1-2 cups broccoli, 1 bunch of scallions or a mix of broccoli and scallions.
- Serving Measurement: 1/4 of stir fry
- Energy: 292
- Sugar: 10 g
- Fats: 15 g
- Carbohydrates: 27 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 17 g
Key phrases: tempeh stir fry
Initially revealed Might 5, 2019.