This simple vegan cauliflower “potato” salad is a scrumptious low-carb various to basic potato salad.
This no potato “potato” salad is made with steamed cauliflower florets and a wealthy, creamy vegan dressing. With fewer carbs and energy, this dish is a wholesome solution to take pleasure in an irresistible summertime staple.
You’ll be shocked at how comparable this mock potato salad is to the actual factor. It has an identical color, texture and dressing due to the mix of steamed cauliflower and tangy mayo. Not solely is it simply as scrumptious as conventional potato salad, but in addition simply as simple to make.
You’ll love this recipe for each event. It makes a pretty addition to a vacation meal like Easter, is nice for picnics and BBQs and it’s tremendous simple to whip up any night time of the week for a veggie-packed facet dish.
Although this salad occurs to be vegan, keto-friendly and low carb, it’s a tasty recipe anybody can take pleasure in and in addition simply a good way to incorporate extra nutritious cauliflower in your food plan.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
- Simple to make in simply half-hour
- Extremely creamy and filled with taste.
- Keto, low carb, gluten-free and vegan (dairy-free & egg-free), however everybody will take pleasure in it!
- Choice to make your personal tofu mayo to make use of within the salad dressing.
- Nice for potlucks, barbecues, and get-togethers.
- Can simply be prepped forward of time – really, it’s higher in the event you do!
Substances & Substitutions
An entire listing of elements with quantities and full directions is positioned within the printable recipe card under. This part covers ingredient and substitution issues.
- Cauliflower: You’ll want 1 giant head of cauliflower or about 8 cups for this recipe. Cauliflower is a superb wholesome, low-carb various to potatoes and makes for a unbelievable mock potato salad.
- Celery: Finely diced recent celery provides a pleasant crunch.
- Chives or Inexperienced onions: Use chives or inexperienced onions (scallion) for further taste and texture on this salad.
- Purple onion: Purple onion or shallot works.
- Dill Pickle & Juice: The diced dill pickle and pickle juice present simply the correct amount of crunch and tang to this cauliflower “potato” salad. Be happy so as to add extra pickle juice for further tang!
- Dill: In the event you don’t have any recent dill available, you may simply swap it out for 1 tsp dried dill however recent dill is greatest on this recipe.
- Vegan Mayonnaise: Vegan mayonnaise is the bottom of the creamy dressing. You should utilize any store-bought mayo. An oil-free tofu-based dressing is included under in its place.
- Dijon Mustard: This provides flavour, color, and a touch of spice to the salad. You should utilize any number of dijon mustard (grainy, sizzling, and so forth).
- Seasonings: You’ll want garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. In the event you don’t have smoked paprika, common paprika will work as nicely.
Easy methods to Make Cauliflower “Potato” Salad
Step 1: Steam the Cauliflower
Place a steamer basket in a big pot, then add sufficient water to cowl the underside, not rising above the basket. Add the chopped cauliflower to the basket. Carry to a boil, then cut back warmth to medium.
Cowl the cauliflower and steam for 5-7 min, till simply fork-tender. Fastidiously take away the cauliflower. Set it apart to chill.
Don’t have a steaming basket? You’ll be able to boil the cauliflower. Carry a big pot of salted water to boil. Add cauliflower. Prepare dinner for five minutes, till you may pierce florets with a knife. Drain.
Step 2: Make the Dressing
To make the dressing, add the vegan mayo, dijon, dill pickle juice, garlic powder, and smoked paprika to a big mixing bowl. Whisk to mix till easy then season with a pinch of salt and pepper, to style.
Fast Tip: I combined up the dressing within the bowl I deliberate to make the salad in so in the event you do the identical, be sure to use a big sufficient bowl!
Step 3: Toss the Salad
When the cauliflower is cool to the contact, add it to the bowl with the dressing and blend nicely to coat then add the celery, chives, pink onion, pickle, and dill.
Combine every little thing up till every little thing is well-coated within the dressing. Season the salad with salt and pepper to style, if wanted.
At this level, you may benefit from the salad immediately nevertheless it’s even higher after it chills within the fridge for an hour!
Step 4: Garnish and Serve
Garnish cauliflower “potato” salad with further chives or scallions and a sprinkle of smoked paprika, if desired.
- Reduce cauliflower into equal-sized florets. This can assist them prepare dinner in the identical period of time fairly than having some undercooked items and a few mushy items.
- Chill earlier than serving. This isn’t required however the flavour and texture actually develop after an hour or so within the fridge.
Oil-Free Tofu Dressing
For an oil-free salad dressing, do that oil-free tofu mayo recipe to make use of within the dressing:
- 250 g medium-firm tofu
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp water (add sufficient water to mix simply and obtain a creamy consistency)
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
Place all the elements in a blender. Course of it for 1 min, till easy and creamy. Season it with extra salt to style. For one of the best taste, permit it to relaxation within the fridge for at the very least half-hour earlier than utilizing within the recipe.
In the event you’re making the oil-free tofu mayo, it’s greatest to make it at the very least half-hour forward of time or the day earlier than. As soon as ready, use 1/2 cup of it to switch the vegan mayo within the dressing – so you’re nonetheless mixing it with the remainder of the dressing elements.
Sure! This potato salad with cauliflower is a unbelievable low-carb and keto-friendly dish.
This dish is mostly served chilly or at room temperature to maintain all of the greens crisp and recent.
Sure. Permit the cauliflower to thaw within the fridge then drain off any extra water earlier than continuing with the recipe. I’d, nonetheless, suggest recent cauliflower for this recipe.
You’ll be able to completely make this potato cauliflower salad with out mayo. Plain vegan greek yogurt or the tofu-based mayo recipe can be utilized as an alternative.
- Serve with a burger like my quinoa beet burgers or chickpea burgers.
- Nice as a facet salad for grilling.
- Pairs nicely with entrees like this marinated baked tempeh or every other protein.
- Serve with different gentle sides like roasted asparagus.
- Serve with recent chopped carrots and celery and a few dip for a lightweight meal.
Making Forward & Storing
- Mock potato salad might be ready forward of time and saved within the fridge till you’re able to serve it.
- In the event you select to make your personal tofu mayo, you may put together it upfront and retailer it within the fridge.
- Retailer any leftover salad in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
- There aren’t any uncooked eggs on this recipe so it travels nicely making it a fantastic possibility for potlucks and picnics.
Did you do that recipe? I’d love to listen to about it! Click on right here to go away a evaluate.
Vegan mock potato salad made with cauliflower, dill pickle, celery and pink onion for a wholesome, tasty facet dish everybody will love!
For the Cauliflower Salad
For the Dressing
- Steam Cauliflower: Place a steamer basket in a big pot, then add sufficient water to cowl the underside, not rising above the basket. Add the chopped cauliflower to the basket. Carry to a boil, then cut back warmth to medium. Cowl and steam for 5-7 min, till simply fork-tender. Fastidiously take away the cauliflower. Put aside to chill.
- Make the Dressing: To a big bowl, add the vegan mayo (see notes for oil-free tofu mayo possibility), Dijon, dill pickle juice, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk to mix.
- Toss Salad: When the cauliflower is cool to the contact, add to the bowl with the dressing. Season cauliflower with salt and pepper. Add the celery, chives, pink onion, pickle and dill. Season with extra salt and pepper to style, if wanted.
- Chill: Refrigerate for at the very least an hour or till able to serve.
- Serve: Garnish the “potato” salad with further chives and a sprinkle of smoked paprika, if desired.
- If making your personal tofu or different home made mayo, try this earlier than cooking the cauliflower, or make it a day forward so the flavours have time to develop.
- Oil-Free Tofu Mayo: 250g medium-firm tofu, 1 Tbsp lemon juice, 1-2 Tbsp water (add sufficient water to mix simply and obtain a creamy consistency), 1 tsp Dijon mustard, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp salt. Place all the elements in a blender. Course of for 1 min, till easy and creamy. Season with salt to style. Refrigerate for at the very least half-hour for one of the best flavour earlier than utilizing 1/2 cup of it within the recipe to switch the vegan mayo.
- Don’t have a steaming basket? You’ll be able to boil the cauliflower. Carry a big pot of salted water to boil. Add cauliflower. Prepare dinner for five minutes, till you may pierce florets with a knife. Drain.
- Serves 4-6 as a facet dish.
- Serving Dimension: 1/4 of the recipe
- Energy: 166
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 550 mg
- Fats: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 7 g
Key phrases: cauliflower potato salad