Carb-lover and staunch believer in all issues moderately, I used to be extremely skeptical about no-noodle lasagna. Thus, it’s with out exaggeration that I inform you, this pasta-free Zucchini Lasagna is positively improbable!
Actually, I served it to our neighbors and casually didn’t point out that this recipe makes use of thinly sliced zucchini squash rather than the lasagna pasta noodles.
Gentle zucchini is a surprisingly good pasta stand-in when paired with strong sauces, just like the hearty Bolognese-ish sauce you’ll discover on this zucchini lasagna with meat, the contemporary tomato sauce in Zucchini Pasta, and the garlic on this Wholesome Shrimp Scampi with Zucchini Noodles.
The most important wrestle with making zucchini lasagna is to maintain it from changing into watery.
Fortuitously, I’ve gathered numerous information on this space, courtesy of different zucchini carb-swap recipes I’ve developed, like Zucchini Ravioli and Zucchini Enchiladas.
The identical methodology works for zucchini lasagna!
Preserve Your Zucchini Lasagna from Getting Soggy
Zucchini has a excessive water content material.
So as to maintain the zucchini lasagna from changing into watery, you could draw out the water by broiling or grilling the zucchini first.
- Broil methodology: place the zucchini slices underneath the broiler for five to eight minutes, till browned.
- Grill methodology: grill the zucchini slices for two to three minutes per aspect.
Each strategies work nicely, so select which is most handy.
You may also experiment with drawing water out of the zucchini by salting the slices, letting them sit for 10 minutes, then patting them dry, as a substitute of broiling or grilling it, although I discovered the outcomes have been combined.
For no-sog assured, broiling or grilling the zucchini noodles previous to layering is one of the best methodology.
A Gentle However SATISFYING Recipe
To be clear—I love traditional lasagna (I do have a pulse)—but it surely feels heavy in the course of the summer season months.
In terms of protecting dinner on the lighter aspect whereas ensuring it’s a lot satisfying, this low carb zucchini lasagna is the transfer!
The best way to Make Zucchini Lasagna
To make zucchini lasagna, you’ll put together and layer three most important parts:
- A hearty tomato meat sauce. I take advantage of jarred pasta sauce to maintain this quick and straightforward.
- A creamy, tacky layer. Whereas much less conventional, I take advantage of cottage cheese rather than ricotta in lasagna. Cottage cheese wholesome and excessive in protein (be at liberty to make use of ricotta if you happen to want).
- Zucchini noodles. A mandoline is one of the simplest ways to verify they’re good and skinny.
And naturally, we’ll be including some gooey cheese for good measure.
- Zucchini. Swapping pasta noodles for sliced and cooked zucchini is an easy solution to considerably decrease the carbs and energy on this traditional consolation meals.
- Floor Beef. Filled with protein and iron, floor beef makes the lasagna heartier and provides a scrumptious meaty taste.
- Marinara. I opted to make use of jarred marinara-style pasta sauce to assist make this recipe fast and straightforward. Select any sauce you get pleasure from.
- Cottage Cheese. Helps create the creamy, tacky layer and provides richness. Low-fat cottage cheese is a wholesome selection, because it’s decrease in fats and energy and is excessive in protein.
- Frozen Spinach. Utilizing frozen, pre-chopped spinach within the cheese layer is a straightforward solution to squeeze in further veggies.
- Parmesan. This lasagna wouldn’t be full with out the addition of salty, crowd-pleasing Parmesan cheese.
- Egg. Helps bind the lasagna layers collectively and makes the cheese layer further creamy.
- Mozzarella. A melty, dreamy mozzarella cheese lid is a trademark of any good lasagna.
- Contemporary Basil. A completion of contemporary basil completely enhances the flavors within the lasagna.
- Trim and slice the zucchini. Prepare dinner with oil, salt, and pepper on the grill or underneath the broiler. Pat dry.
- Prepare dinner the meat with salt and oregano. Stir within the garlic.
- Stir within the sauce.
- Add the cottage cheese, Parmesan, egg, salt, pepper, and spinach to a bowl.
- Stir till mixed.
- In a casserole dish coated with nonstick spray, unfold half of the sauce on the underside. Prime the sauce with half of the zucchini.
- Add the entire cheese combination.
- Add one other layer of zucchini and sauce on prime.
- End with the mozzarella and Parmesan. Bake zucchini lasagna at 350 levels F for 20 minutes. Prime the lasagna with contemporary basil. Let relaxation, then DIG IN!
It’s possible you’ll discover that this zucchini lasagna has fewer layers in comparison with conventional lasagnas. It’s because as you pile on the zucchini, you enhance the chance of the zucchini lasagna being watery. Two layers provides you with tacky, saucy lasagna that isn’t soggy or watery.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate lasagna in an hermetic container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, trim and slice the zucchini as directed. Put together the meat sauce layer and the cottage cheese layer. Refrigerate individually till you’re able to layer the lasagna.
What to Serve with Zucchini Lasagna
Advisable Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Finest Casserole Dish
This lovely, high-quality casserole dish is a worthwhile funding piece. It’s dishwasher secure too!
Zucchini lasagna is simply what tonight’s dinner (and your zucchini provide) ordered.
I hope you adore it simply as a lot as we do!
Often Requested Questions
In case you have contemporary spinach available that you simply’d like to make use of as a substitute, you may swap it right here. Saute it on the range first to attract out the additional moisture, then add to the recipe as directed.
Sure, you may swap the zucchini for summer season squash if that’s what you’ve got available. Or, use a mixture.
Sadly, I don’t advocate freezing this recipe, because the zucchini will turn into very watery and mushy as soon as thawed.
- 3 medium/giant zucchini about 2 kilos
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper divided
- 1 pound lean floor beef or floor bison
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 (24-ounce) can ready marinara-style pasta sauce (I like DeLallo or Rao’s)
- 1 (16-ounce) container low-fat cottage cheese or half skim ricotta cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) package deal frozen chopped spinach thawed with extra water squeezed out
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan divided
- 1 giant egg
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese or a mix of mozzarella and provolone
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced contemporary basil
Prepare dinner the zucchini: Trim off the ends of the zucchini (no have to peel). Slice lengthwise into 1/4-inch-thick planks (a mandolin is one of the simplest ways to do that). It is best to have about 6 to eight slices per zucchini. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Toss to coat the slices evenly.
GRILL METHOD: Preheat an out of doors grill or indoor grill pan to medium. Calmly coat the grill with canola oil, then grill the zucchini till cooked and calmly brown, about 2 to three minutes per aspect. BROIL METHOD: Place the highest oven rack about 5 inches from the higher warmth aspect. Set the oven to broil. Divide the zucchini between two baking sheets, laying the slices in a single layer so they don’t seem to be touching. (Don’t line the baking sheet pans with parchment, because the paper will burn.) Broil the primary sheet pan for five to eight minutes, or till the zucchini slices are calmly browned. Repeat with the second sheet pan. As soon as the zucchini is broiled or grilled, let cool barely, then gently pat dry to take away extra moisture. Flip the oven to 350 levels F.
In a big skillet warmth the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high warmth. Add the meat, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and oregano. Prepare dinner, breaking up the meat, till it’s browned and cooked via, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir within the garlic and let cook dinner 30 seconds.
Take away the pan from the warmth. Add the pasta sauce and stir to mix.
In a big bowl, mix the cottage cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan, egg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, mixing nicely.
Stir within the spinach, utilizing a fork to interrupt it up and distribute it as evenly with the cottage cheese combination as potential.
Coat a 9×13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Unfold half of the sauce onto the underside of the dish in a good layer. Prepare half of the zucchini slices excessive, overlapping them barely as wanted.
Prime the zucchini slices with the entire cheese combination.
Prime with the remaining zucchini, then the remaining sauce.
Sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan. Bake the zucchini lasagna for 20 minutes, till the cheese is melted and the lasagna is sizzling and bubbly. Take away from the oven and sprinkle with contemporary basil. Let relaxation 5 to 10 minutes, then serve.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate lasagna in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm leftovers in a baking dish within the oven at 350 levels F or within the microwave.
Serving: 1(of 6)Energy: 401kcalCarbohydrates: 15gProtein: 37gFats: 22gSaturated Fats: 8gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 10gTrans Fats: 0.5gLdl cholesterol: 97mgPotassium: 1111mgFiber: 4gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 6510IUVitamin C: 29mgCalcium: 405mgIron: 5mg
Be part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.
Extra Low-Carb Zucchini Recipes
Zucchini Pizza Boats