Bennigan’s Monte Cristo Sandwich – discuss guiding the lilly! This deep-fried triple-decker sandwich is served with pink raspberry preserves.
This publish incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Monte Cristo Sandwich Origin
It’s thought that the Monte Cristo sandwich was a variation of the basic French Croque Monsieur, which has a variety of variations of its personal.
It was Disney that made it in style within the USA by serving it in eating places at Disneyland Anaheim within the Nineteen Sixties. From there, it unfold throughout the land altering in line with native tastes alongside the best way.
Monte Cristo Sandwich recipes have advanced like barbecue sauce. They alter in line with the place you might be within the USA and the batter recipe is a tightly saved secret.
In lots of areas although, the Monte Cristo is a savory sandwich of fried ham and cheese.
Most frequently, it’s dipped in its entirety in a batter and both pan-fried in butter or deep-fried in oil or fats. Different variations make the sandwich extra candy than savory. And nonetheless, others change out the ham for sliced turkey.
In some components of the US, it’s a closed, grilled sandwich. In others, it’s an open sandwich with solely the bread battered and fried, then assembled as a sandwich earlier than being heated just below a broiler.
What Makes the Bennigan’s Monte Cristo Sandwich So Good?
You’ve most likely had French toast full of jam or chocolate, however what about savory components? A basic Monte Cristo is nothing greater than French toast crammed with turkey, ham, American and Swiss cheeses. It’s sprinkled with powdered sugar and served with preserves.
The Monte Cristo sandwich recipe was developed someday within the early 1900s as a spinoff of the extra complicated Croque Monsieur, a well-liked cafe meal in France. It’s the final mixture of candy and savory components that’s good for brunch or a lightweight meal any time of day.
Why You Ought to Strive This Recipe
Bennigan’s Restaurant model turns the normal sandwich right into a triple-decker and provides turkey and American cheese, making it much more filling for hearty appetites. It’s an easy-to-cook sandwich that’s uniquely scrumptious, however possibly simply as necessary, it may possibly impress your friends on any event.
Bennigan’s Monte Cristo Sandwich Substances
To assemble the sandwich, you’ll want:
- Honey wheat bread
- Deli turkey
- Deli ham
- American cheese
- Swiss cheese
Be at liberty to switch the wheat bread with different candy or savory breads. Each brioche and sourdough are good choices.
The basic Monte Cristo sandwich recipe requires Gruyère cheese and no American cheese, so it’s possible you’ll need to swap the cheese choice primarily based on what you like.
For the egg batter, you’ll want:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
To fry a Monte Cristo, you’ll want
Methods to Make a Monte Cristo
To assemble the sandwich:
- Place a slice of turkey and a slice of Swiss cheese on a bit of wheat bread.
- Prime with one other slice of bread. Add a slice of ham and American cheese, then cowl with a 3rd piece of bread. If you would like, safe the sandwich with a picket toothpick in every nook. Set the assembled sandwich to the facet and end making all of the sandwiches.
To fry the Monte Cristo sandwich
- Whisk collectively the egg and water in a big shallow container, like a pie tin or casserole dish. Add the salt, sugar, AP flour, and baking powder and whisk till easy. Put aside for later.
- Heat the butter or vegetable oil in a big skillet over medium warmth.
- Whereas the skillet is heating up, dip either side of a sandwich within the egg batter and place within the skillet. Repeat if there may be room within the skillet for an additional sandwich.
- Cook dinner the sandwiches till the cheese melts and the bread is golden brown, about three minutes per facet. Place the cooked sandwiches on a baking tray, cowl with aluminum foil, and place in a WARM oven.
- Add extra butter or oil to the skillet and prepare dinner any remaining sandwiches.
To serve the sandwiches:
- Take away the toothpicks from all corners of the sandwich.
- For a fancier presentation, minimize off the crusts of the bread and slice the sandwich in half diagonally.
Particular Gear You May Want
You’ll be able to put together this Monte Cristo sandwich recipe with fundamental kitchen gear. You solely want a skillet and a shallow container for dipping the sandwiches.
What to Serve Bennigan’s Monte Cristo Sandwich With
Historically, the de rigor facet for a Monte Cristo was a small bowl of jelly for dipping, but when the concept of ham, turkey, cheese, and jelly doesn’t sound too nice, there are different choices. Listed below are some ideas it’s possible you’ll need to attempt:
- Add a sprinkling of powdered sugar. The principle attribute of a Monte Cristo sandwich is the stability of candy and salty flavors. Including a sprinkle of powdered sugar on prime heightens the distinction, particularly if you happen to aren’t utilizing jam.
- Espresso. A restaurant au lait or French press espresso will be the extra historically applicable beverage for pairing with a Monte Cristo. Nonetheless, if you happen to favor one thing stronger, a cappuccino or espresso would work simply as properly.
- Fruit salad. A bowl of recent fruit pairs properly with this sandwich. Blended berries or sliced melons are each wonderful decisions. Keep away from citrus because the tartness will be too intense.
Methods to Retailer Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Save your self a variety of time within the morning and prepare dinner these sandwiches the night time earlier than. They may reheat superbly within the morning, and also you’ll have the ability to feed a big group suddenly.
Simply put together and prepare dinner the sandwiches per the recipe directions and permit them to chill fully. Place a paper towel on the underside of an hermetic container and lay the sandwiches on prime. Cowl with extra paper towels and the lid. Retailer them within the fridge for as much as 24 hours. Don’t freeze them.
What’s the Finest Method to Reheat Monte Cristo Sandwiches
You’ll be able to reheat a number of sandwiches hands-free within the oven:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lay the sandwiches on a baking tray.
- Heat within the preheated oven for 10 to fifteen minutes or till the cheese melts. Flip the sandwiches midway by means of the cooking time.
Love Bennigan’s? Strive these copycat recipes!
Common Sandwich Recipes
Bennigan’s Monte Cristo Sandwich
Whereas Bennigans is probably not round anymore, you’ll be able to nonetheless get pleasure from their well-known Monte Cristo sandwich at house.
- 9 slices Wheat bread
- 3 slices Deli turkey
- 3 slices Deli ham
- 3 slices American cheese
- 3 slices Swiss cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- vegetable oil for frying
Place turkey and Swiss cheese on one slice of bread and ham and American cheese on one other slice of bread. Place third slice in-between and safe the triple-decker sandwich within the corners with toothpicks.
Place egg in mixing bowl, add water and beat collectively. Add salt, sugar, flour, and baking powder. Beat batter till easy.
Dip sandwich in batter and thoroughly cowl all the edges and floor. Fastidiously place in scorching oil and fry till golden. When the sandwich has turned a heat gold colour take away it from the new oil and place it on a paper towel. Let cool for a couple of minutes earlier than eradicating the toothpicks. Earlier than serving slice into fourths and sprinkle with powder sugar.
Serve with raspberry preserves, pickle garnish, and your favourite French fried potatoes.
Energy: 915kcal | Carbohydrates: 88g | Protein: 40g | Fats: 44g | Saturated Fats: 27g | Ldl cholesterol: 132mg | Sodium: 1735mg | Potassium: 903mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 580IU | Calcium: 801mg | Iron: 5.9mg