Fried Okra is a dish that could be very widespread the place I reside. You may name breaded fried okra a Southern staple. It’s a fantastic approach to serve this vegetable. I do know you’re going to love this Southern fried okra recipe, I’ll present you tips on how to fry okra like a professional!
This publish incorporates affiliate hyperlinks. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pan Fried Okra with Cornmeal
Okra is a kind of issues that usually is within the background and served as a facet dish. With this crispy fried okra recipe, you may make it the beginning of the present, the proper appetizer.
Why That is the Greatest Recipe for Fried Okra!
We begin with uncooked okra as a result of recent okra has a scrumptious and distinctive taste that isn’t matched within the frozen okra you purchase. We cook dinner this in small batches which are seasoned completely.
Your selfmade fried okra could have a crispy coating that can make it the proper facet dish. That’s why that is one of the best fried okra recipe. And this Southern fried okra is a favourite of my household.
What Precisely Does Okra Style Like?
Actually, okra is in a world of its personal relating to greens. It has a really distinct candy grassy taste. I do know you don’t hear that description usually and should put you off, however don’t let it. It’s scrumptious on this crispy fried okra recipe.
To ease you a little bit bit, some individuals do evaluate the style of okra to inexperienced beans and even eggplant. The factor that makes okra distinct is its slimy texture. However when it’s cooked it turns into crunchy and scrumptious!
What’s Fried Okra Product of?
Frying issues is loads simpler than you suppose. You may make this recipe for fried okra with loads of what you have already got in your pantry. Listed below are the components you’ll need for frying okra:
- All-purpose Flour
- Chili powder
- Garlic salt
- Onion salt
- Vegetable oil
Find out how to Make Fried Okra
- Wash okra and reduce it into 3/8 inch slices.
- Place flour, paprika, chili powder, garlic salt, and onion salt in a small bowl.
- In a big bowl stir flour and seasonings till effectively blended.
- Place sliced okra into the seasoned flour combination and stir to coat the okra with flour.
- Beat two eggs in a medium bowl.
- Place the corn meal in a shallow dish.
- Dip okra into the flour-coated okra into the egg combination Stir to coat okra with egg wash.
- Drop moist okra into cornmeal. Toss to coat the okra with cornmeal combination. Shake off extra.
- Warmth oil in a forged iron skillet (or different heavy skillet) over medium-high warmth to 375 levels Fahrenheit.
- Place breaded okra within the sizzling oil within the skillet, I like to make use of a cast-iron skillet, or a dutch oven, they appear to maintain a extra uniform temperature.
- Prepare dinner for 1 to 2 minutes on one facet or till golden brown.
- Flip the okra with a slotted spoon to cook dinner till browned on all sides.
- Take away the okra from the skillet and drain it on paper towels.
- Sprinkle it with salt whereas it’s nonetheless heat.
Pan Fried Okra
Frying okra in a pan or skillet is one of the simplest ways to get it crispy. And Southern fried okra must have a sure crispness with a view to be excellent.
How do you make fried okra not slimy?
Okra is a kind of greens that may be a little bit tough to cook dinner and get the feel that you really want, or higher but need to keep away from. Okra can appear a little bit slimy when it’s cooked.
There are two methods you may keep away from this.
- Soaking the Okra – If you happen to soak the okra in white vinegar for about half-hour earlier than you should cook dinner it, it helps reduce down on the slimy texture. Simply make sure you pat down the okra as greatest you may to chop down on the vinegar style that may be leftover from soaking it.
- Much less is Extra – It’s stated that in the event you reduce the okra much less, you keep away from having extra of the mucilage launched which is what makes it slimy. The extra cuts you make the extra mucilage is uncovered. So, if you would like, reduce the okra into bigger items, and in return, the okra can be much less slimy. If you happen to occur to get a number of the smaller pods you could possibly fry these complete in the event you need.
Strive one or each of those strategies to realize one of the best outcomes relating to making okra for any recipe.
Find out how to Make Fried Okra Crispy
Okra can are typically a little bit bit difficult to cook dinner. Listed below are 3 tips about tips on how to fry okra so it’s crispy:
The primary tip is to make use of recent okra. If you happen to use frozen okra, it is going to have been uncovered to extra moisture and that isn’t what you need for frying greens. So, the brisker the higher!
My second tip is to ensure to extensively dry the okra earlier than something! Leaving any moisture on the okra will give approach for the slime to construct up across the okra whereas cooking. Pat the okra down one, possibly two occasions to make sure that there isn’t any water left on the freshly washed okra.
My third tip, be certain your oil is sizzling sufficient! If the oil you’re frying the okra in isn’t sizzling sufficient, you’ll find yourself cooking it for longer to ensure it’s accomplished. Chances are you’ll need to use a deep-fry thermometer to ensure your oil is sizzling sufficient. Once you cook dinner the okra further lengthy, it is going to start to soak up a number of the oil into the breading, which may even trigger a soggier piece of fried okra.
Chances are you’ll need to change the seasoning mix a bit. Chances are you’ll need to add some garlic powder, and even some cayenne pepper to the recipe to vary the flavour. Each work effectively.
Find out how to Retailer and Reheat Leftover Fried Okra
As soon as the okra has cooled fully, retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
I wish to reheat my okra in an air fryer. I reheat for about 5 minutes at 350°F.
If you happen to don’t have an air fryer, the oven is my second favourite. Unfold it out on a baking sheet. Reheat at 350°F for about 8 to 10 minutes. Reheating in an oven means you take pleasure in crispy okra the second time!
Love fried greens? Strive these recipes!
Well-liked Aspect Dish Recipes
Take a look at extra of my simple facet dish recipes and one of the best vegetarian recipes on CopyKat!
You may make crispy southern fried okra from scratch.
Add to Assortment Go to Collections
- 1 pound okra
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/8 teaspoon onion salt
- 2 eggs overwhelmed
- 1 1/2 cups cornmeal
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon salt
Wash okra and reduce it into 3/8 inch slices.
Place flour, paprika, chili powder, garlic salt and onion salt in a small bowl.
Stir flour and seasonings till effectively blended.
Drop reduce okra into the seasoned flour.
Beat two eggs in one other bowl.
Drop flour coated okra into overwhelmed eggs. Stir to coat okra with eggs.
Place cornmeal in one other bowl.
Drop moist okra into cornmeal. Toss to coat the okra with cornmeal. Shake off extra cornmeal.
Warmth a skillet with about ½-inch of vegetable oil over medium-high warmth.
When the oil is heated to 375 levels, place breaded okra within the skillet.
Prepare dinner the okra for 1 to 2 minutes on one facet or till browned.
Rotate and flip the okra to cook dinner till browned on all sides.
Take away the okra from skillet with a slotted spatula or spoon.
Drain the fried okra on paper towels.
Season it with salt whereas it’s nonetheless heat.
Energy: 205kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 7g | Fats: 3g | Saturated Fats: 0g | Ldl cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 707mg | Potassium: 348mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 685IU | Vitamin C: 17.4mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2.3mg